Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Everybody's Favorite Soup, Part One, and a start for Carnitas

Today I started working on Carnitas. I picked this recipe because Katie makes it in her crockpot, and, unlike the other recipes I looked at, it uses no beer. We don't drink beer, and I don't know where to get just one bottle. And I don't want to waste any hours of my life sourcing beer.

I cut up some pork roast from Costco and put it in a gallon Ziplock with all the other ingredients except the orange juice and orange zest. Then I put it in the fridge, because we decided to have it another day, which is good, because I don't have any orange juice or orange zest.

Instead we are having Everybody's Favorite Soup, which has that name because my picky hubby likes it, and my kids only groaned a little. I cooked 4 chicken thighs (I happened to have defrosted) in the oven, then took the meat off to save for the end of cooking. The bones and skin are in the crockpot on high with a bunch of water, to make broth. I was thinking of making the soup in the crockpot this time, but I don't think it will work out - it's already 2:30. That's OK - at least I am getting the most out of those bones.

No comments: